This is a small thing, but it makes your writing so much more credible. It’s all in the details!
Use a before words that start with the enunciated letter h:
- History. A history class about famous churches.
- Hazard. Going without sleep is a hazard to your health.
- Home. She bought a home in the hills.
with words with the phonic sound yew:
- University. She attended a university in Rome.
- European. France is a European nation.
- URL. You need a URL for your website.
Use an before
words that start with silent letter h:
- Hour. It took an hour to drive to the mountains),
- Herb. Use an herb to flavor your cooking),
- Heirloom. The silver brush is an heirloom from my grandmother.
words that start with a short u:
- Uncle. He is an uncle of mine.
- Underdeveloped. An underdeveloped bee has no wings.
- Urgent. They put out an urgent call for supplies.
and acronyms that start with with a vowel sound:
- M(em)CPS—Montgomery County Public Schools. An MCPS student.
- L(el)GBTQ—Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer. An LGBTQ study circle.
- N(en)PR—National Public Radio. I work at an NPR station.
Inspired by Woe Is I, by Patricia T. O’Connor. Copyright 1996.
Let me help you put your best word forward. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.